Friday, June 13, 2008

More words and signs!!!!!!!


Thomas is doing so well right now. I’m just so excited! Everyone has been making a point of telling me how attentive he is and how he follows directions now and makes better eye contact and so on. It’s just amazing. About two weeks ago, he started being so much more precise when he signs “more” and he’s saying it too (“mo”). And a three days ago he started signing “all done” and he says “all-n” which he hasn’t done in a long time. The same day he started signing “eat” and “please”. He needed a tiny physical prompt to sign “more please”. That’s two words. And he said “eat” as perfectly clear as you can get. Even with the T at the end. I kept trying to get it on tape, but of course he wouldn’t do it for the camera when I was recording or he would as I hit the off button instead of the start button. But it’s huge progress just in the past week.

And he’s continuing progress with body parts. Until last week, I didn’t think he knew any. I’d try off and on to go over his body parts but never felt like he got any of it. This morning he was looking at the picture of Elmo on his chair and pointed at the eyes and said “eye”. He pointed at the other eye and said “eye”. Then he pointed at Elmo’s nose and said “nose” (not completely clear, but after repeating it several times it got clearer), then he pointed at where Elmo’s ears would be if he had ears and said “ear”. Then he did the same thing on the other side. Then he pointed out the mouth as he said “ou”. He kept watching my lips as I said “mouth”. And he kept trying to say it. Then a couple minutes later he was sitting on my lap and I asked him to point to his eyes. He proceded to point out his eyes, ears, nose, mouth (“ow”) and even head. I was soooooo proud! You can tell he really has to think about the sounds he is making and you can see how proud he is of himself. It’s just exciting. And he’s just started this in the past week.

I have to admit I am a bit scared that he’s going to stop using his new words and signs. It’s happened so many times before where he starts using a new word and uses it for a week or two and then stops using it. But I am feeling so hopeful right now.