Wednesday, August 27, 2008

School programs for a 2 year old

I went to look at an ABA program today. They are expanding and have several openings available. I really liked the place. The therapists were really nice and really good at what they do. It was nice to see ABA in practice. I’ve learned about it but it’s much different to see it in action. I don’t think that it is what I want to do though. One issue is that it is in Hopkins right now and when they move to their new location it will be in Plymouth. That’s a rather long drive. And since we both work full time we would have to use a transportation service that would be covered by insurance. I’m not sure I trust someone driving my child that far every day. It would make me nervous. I also think that Thomas does better with more active learning, a more physical environment.

So I made up my mind that I was going to start pushing for him to get into the school preschool program. I knew it was going to be a fight since they were getting in trouble for starting kids prior to age 3. But he is ready for school and I think he would thrive there. I’ve actually been making calls all week already but nobody has returned any messages. So then I got a call from Bridget, and she said that she knew we really wanted to get Thomas into the program and approached the new autism program director that just started and they said OK. So we have a meeting in two weeks to do an evaluation and then he’ll start within 45 days of the eval. I’m really excited. I just know that it was meant to be.

No comments: