Friday, September 12, 2008

Thomas's Pre-school Evaluation

We had Thomas’s evaluation (or at least part of it) yesterday morning. It went really well. Everyone kept remarking how much progress he made over the summer. He really has made so much progress. I’m extremely proud of him. I know it was probably the timing and the combination of all the therapy, but ever since L from Kidspeak started ST with him, he has just flourished. It was nice to hear that it was obvious to everyone else though too. During the questioning I also explained that both M from the Play Project and L from Kidspeak say he has motor planning issues with his speech (possible apraxia) and I gave them a couple examples (really studying how you are moving your mouth when you talk and when he starts getting the mouth movement it is very deliberate with a lot of concentration and often doesn’t have any sound with it). Also, this week’s session with M was at the park which was really fun and enlightening. She noticed that when he first gets of the twisty slide, or off the swing, or after holding him and swinging him around (which he loves), he falls down over and over. He’ll fall 5 or 6 times before finally getting his balance. It may just be that it was so exciting he was moving too fast, but she thinks it is a vestibular balance thing. It got better the longer we played. But that is an OT/PT thing. The OT was very interested in hearing that. She’ll be doing the OT evaluation next week so I hope that these things make a difference in her recommendation. I didn’t really like her last year as an OT, but someone else will be doing the actual therapy this year. Until he starts the preschool program that is. Then it will be part of that program or they may have the on site OT pull him out every now and then. When I told them L’s name (from Kidspeak) they all knew her and liked her so the fact that she said that he has motor planning issues may make a difference to them. Anyway, the eval went well. I have a bunch of paperwork to fill out. Our IEP meeting is Oct 20th, so it is looking like the end of October before he starts. I’m just glad that we were able to get him into the program.

Work has been really frustrating lately. I don’t know if it’s just me or what, but it seems that all the projects I work on have issues. They are not working and finding reasons is difficult. Irritating anyway.

Thomas is going to spend the weekend with Grandma and Grandpa. I’m really looking forward to it. Sam has to work, so I’ll be able to get some time to myself. I’m also going to try to clean and organize and paint the living room. I’m looking forward to it. It’s hard when Thomas follows me around as I clean and “uncleans” it for me.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I am so glad to hear that the evaluation went so well. Sounds like he will be getting all the services that he needs. Try not to work the whole time that you have the house to yourself. Relax a little.